September 2, 2007
Rarely has a hurricane sprung up like a wild mushroom as has Felix. At 1 a.m. CDT it was a Category 1 storm with 80 mph winds; now it’s soared to a full-fledged Category 5 with 165 mph winds! And it has a lot of room – and warm water – to grow before hitting Mexico.
Tonight’s Iron Chef secret ingredient was citrus, and this was an episode for which I wish they’d provide recipes. Ummm-mmmm! Looked good, most of it. Except I will go to my grave unable to understand the appeal of raw fish (tuna) and undercooked pork. Blech. Tell you what, I’d love to have a crack at cooking with Meyer lemons and blood oranges, and even the peculiar-looking Buddha’s Hand lemon. Good luck finding stuff like that in the local stores, though.
Here’s an interesting tidbit of culinary information: did you know the mango is related to the cashew? When Alton Brown mentioned it, Bobby Flay’s head whipped up as he exclaimed, “The cashew? It is?”
Today has been a drive Dmitry-and-his-friends around day, but tomorrow afternoon I’m taking Mom and a dinner out to Jessica’s. I wonder if Bridgette’s changed much since Friday?
Still no sign of Faith, last I heard.
Post a Comment
- Well, boo. Add a “hoo” to that, even, for a boo-hoo.
- The imagination – and peculiar taste – of vodka distilleries never ceases to amaze me.
- Oh, joy. Oh, rapture. I’ve been hoping the election will be OVER on the 6th.
- Halloween party at Kirstin’s house.
- This evening I’ve been flipping through the new issue of “Fort Worth Texas” magazine.