March 31, 2007
On the whole the qualities of persistence and tenacity are held in high esteem, and for good reason.
Occasionally, however, persistence and tenacity move from the ranks of the laudable to the embarrassingly goofy.
Monday will mark the 25th anniversary of Argentina's invasion of the Falkland Islands, which periodically still causes me to stop and stare for a moment, overcome by what a totally boneheaded action that was. Y'all remember that? When Argentina essentially declared war on Great Britain?
What morons thought that was a good plan?
The outcome was predictable, and after 72 days (costing the lives of about 750 Argentinians, over 200 English, and even two or three Falkland Islanders) Argentina surrendered.
By jingo, they've revived their demand to have the "Islas Malvinas" returned to them, almost 150 years after the fact.
The English wrested 'em away from y'all back in 1833, guys. Give it a rest already!
Hmmmm.....according to an article in the Toronto Star, oil has been found on the islands and drilling has commenced.
Comments are closed.
Post a Comment
- Well, boo. Add a "hoo" to that, even, for a boo-hoo.
- The imagination - and peculiar taste - of vodka distilleries never ceases to amaze me.
- Oh, joy. Oh, rapture. I've been hoping the election will be OVER on the 6th.
- Halloween party at Kirstin's house.
- This evening I've been flipping through the new issue of "Fort Worth Texas" magazine.
- MargaretinVa on Well, boo. Add a "hoo" to that, even, for a boo-hoo.
- TheClingingVine2 on Well, boo. Add a "hoo" to that, even, for a boo-hoo.
- R. Scott Clark on Well, boo. Add a "hoo" to that, even, for a boo-hoo.
- TheClingingVine2 on The imagination - and peculiar taste - of vodka distilleries never ceases to amaze me.